“Treat the Earth well: It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.” ~ Native American Proverb
While in college I was given an assignment to critically look at what kind of impact my lifestyle had on the planet. Although I had one of the lowest carbon footprints in the class; being a vegetarian, walking to school, only using CFL’s and being an avid recycler, I knew there was much more I could do.
Today, my personal mission to live a sustainable life stems from my commitment to giving our children a beautiful and healthy planet to prosper on. I have taken great strides by living in a community with this shared vision. I have solar panels, a community garden, and a home/office built with green and energy efficient materials.
Along with being a vegetarian, I buy local and organic food whenever possible. I have replaced all the paper products in my home with either a reusable cloth version or use 100% recycled paper in its stead. I have eliminated almost all of the plastic in my kitchen, replacing it with glass, and barred styrofoam from my house. I recycle, reuse, and give away anything that still has a useful life, and always bring my own cloth bags when shopping.
It was a natural progression for me to be a green photographer and implement sustainable practices into my business. Over the past two years I have been taking major steps to reduce the impact I See Beauty has on the planet. I am committed to being an environmental steward, conserving our precious resources for future generations. I have, and will continue to look for new ways to improve my overall footprint and adjust my policies accordingly. Here are some steps I take on a daily basis to keep I See Beauty a green business:
- I work out of a home office powered by renewable energy
- I use a digital camera minimizing the use of metal, plastic, film, silver and chemicals
- Session reservations, contracts, and planning guides are accessed online
- Product packaging is made out of sustainable materials and can be reused
- I offer eco-friendly products and photo printing options to my clients
- I proof pictures online, and never do direct mailing, preventing printed waste
- Most of my photo props are either re-purposed antiques or handmade
- I recycle everything possible, including packaging, electronics and ink cartridges
- Not a single piece of paper goes into the recycle bin unless is it no longer useful
- I reuse boxes and packing from my vendors to ship orders to my clients
- I use rechargeable batteries in all electronics, from remotes to cameras
- I use only CFL’s, but prefer flooding my home/office with natural light in the day
- I bundle any errands I have to minimize driving and pollution
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi